Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas

This pattern was used in the Super Online Sewing Match and it seemed like just the pattern for me. I didn't pay a lot of attention to detail since they obviously won't be worn outside, but when I finished I was left wishing I would have focused more.  My piping around the collar is a hot mess that I can't even bring myself to take a picture of.  The collar is the only place that I basted the piping to one side before sewing the two pieces together.  It seems like that would produce a better result, but it didn't.  I get much better results just pinning it all together and sewing with no basting.  I didn't care at first, but I was disappointed in the collar piping after I attached the facing piping and realized it was going to be cute.  I guess the lesson learned is that you always need to do your best!
I used Cotton+Steel double gauze.  It's very soft and I have trouble keeping it from stretching while it feeds through the machine.  I'm not sure if a walking foot would help with the stretching and feeding issues, but I've wanted to buy one and they're on sale this month at the Bernina store so this would provide a good excuse.  I do like double gauze and I believe I'll use it again in the future, but my finishing leaves a bit to be desired.

It's hard to figure out how to pose in pajamas.  I used to make quilts and I decided to throw a couple over my fence as a backdrop.  I miss making them, but once I started making garments that was the end of the quilts.  I would love to make time to make another one, but I only like labor intensive patterns that take me years to finish.  Do you quilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment