Monday, April 7, 2014

Sewaholic Cambie Dress

 
 
I have been meaning to make this dress for months but never got around to it.  I actually made a muslin at the end of last summer but something else took over and I put it on the back burner.  I thought I would really, really, really love it when it was completed but for some reason I'm a little underwhelmed.  There is something about the waistband that I don't like.  I'm thinking about trying it again without the waistband but I don't know how that would impact the design of the dress.  My plan with this pattern was to make an initial version in a summery fabric and then choose a silk fabric for a second version for a wedding.  I'm not sure if I like it well enough to do that.  Decision, decisions.
 
I used a Joel Dewberry rayon challis from www.fabric.com.  I think that rayon challis is my favorite summer fabric. I forgot to take a picture of the lining but it is an extremely cheap voile in the most obnoxious shade of yellow.  I don't remember what project it was intended for but I used it for this one because I didn't want to waste time or money on a lining fabric.  If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have used it.  If I'm taking the time to make something to wear I think it's a good idea to use quality fabric.  You can't see it so I guess that's good!
 
I know a lot of people prefer A-line or fitted skirts but I love a full skirt.  The skirt is so full that you can't even see the pockets.  I actually had to fish around for them so I could put my hands in them.
 
 
 
 
I don't know if the wrinkles in this picture are from the dress lying wrong or if it's due to poor fit.  From the front it seems to fit.  I chose to omit the stitch-in-the-ditch at the waistline, mainly because it's time consuming and I hate it but also because I think the rayon stretched a little and was a smidge bigger than the voile.  When I matched up the waistband seams it resulted in a lot of wrinkling with the main fabric.
 
 
I think I'll wear this to a bridal shower next weekend and see how it goes.  I cut it in a straight 4 with no adjustments.  In the future I think I would maybe use a smaller sideseam allowance to have a bit more breathing room.  It's not uncomfortable as it is now but it would be better with a little more space.
 
 
 Version 2 coming soon.....maybe.
 
 


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!! I love it! It fits well, and I am sure it will be a hit at the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I'm impressed with those backpacks. The little guys will love carrying their own things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a stunning dress! I'm surprised you weren't sure about it, it's really striking. I totally agree with you about full skirts - I love them!

    X Sam

    www.wingsofgoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has grown on me and I enjoy wearing it quite a bit now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just jacked off to thos picture

    ReplyDelete